November 1, 2007

life mein PEHLI baar....

The blogger has now decided to adopt a more personal tone with usage of direct address.

Yours truly FINALLY moved out of ‘home’ and shifted to a hostel. Well…it’s all a part of a long-thought plan….natural progression… from posh [Worli Sea Face] to posher [Colaba]!!!!!

The first thing most people said after moving in was… ‘u must be missing ur parents/home’. And the natural response… ‘NOPE! I don’t have time to miss them!!!! Almost immediately after shifting into the hostel [june end], I was appointed as the Contingent Leader[CL] for Malhar’07. this kept me uber-busy for the next 1.5 months…till 16th August.

In fact, my movement and activities were ALL scheduled around work related to Malhar…. coming in late…dinner….taking head baths at 12 in the night…’coz there was no other free time! The CL job made it very easy for me to slid into the hostel environs, otherwise… I guess…I’d have to make conscious attempts to adjust…maybe!

Funnily….for the entire routine of coming in late, I was too lethargic to learn how to warm food in the microwave. And after Malhar when I finally found the simplicity behind it…felt a li’l uncanny…I ate cold food all during the run-up to the festival…whereas I could have easily warmed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here’s another anecdote… for all those odd hours that I came in…food NEVER got over. And one day… not far after Malhar…I came in late and dinner and ACTUALLY gotten over! I had a nice laugh and…..put together some 8 food items, in small quantities, and had them for ‘dinner’.

An important realization that set in was the fact that I have the capacity to stay up WHOLE night [basically working without ANY sleep] and still be able to sail through the next day without any problem. This opportunity presented itself when I decided to do MY first Psychology assignment [only Xavierites doing Psycho. will understand what I mean by that statement!]… to hand-write at least 60 pages…referring to a stack of fat books…and the works. All this happened in the span of ONE NIGHT with its share of a dinner break, mithaai break and coffee break, each!!! A corollary realization that surfaced was… the first time the cock crows…don’t think it’s morning…it’s juz about 3’o clock in the morning!!!!

Since I decided to take a complete break from extra-curricular activities after Malhar, it was quite often [especially in the last leg of September and later] that I was in time for lunch… quite an enjoyable fare.

The entire two weeks that my 1st term exams lasted…. There were some cooking escapades that took place. One evening… I rustled up some corn-pasta in the microwave….turned out to be quite tasteful and was enjoyed by everyone who got a spoonful of it. Staying up late [2am is not late…. 3am is!!!] was not an irregular feauture during exams. One night/morning[ wateva!] I made pasta for myself at 3:30 in the morning!!!!! And before some exam… I had a mugful of milk at 3:00 am. THAT was fun….but at the end of it I was SO full…that I decided never to have that much milk so late in the night!
The only inconvenience amidst all the luxury is the howling of dogs! When at 3am …you finally decided to call it day…and take a nap….the 4 dogs downstairs will wake up from their slumber and for no rhyme or reason start wailing in unison. Shaayad unhein hamaara sona pasand nahin hai!

And NOW….the B-E-S-T of the entire lot…….has been saved for the last!

On the first day of my exam…before leaving… I locked my cupboard…and realised… the keys were inside…GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After coming back from the paper… I tired all possible means for breaking the lock…but of no avail. Then… I sent an SOS to MES…and pleaded them to send someone fast… ‘coz my 2nd exam was the very next day!!! Unexpectedly… the response time was an unbelievable 9 minutes! the carpenters came in and took some 15-20 minutes to break the lock….5 levers…Godrej!!!!!!!!! But…all’s well that ends well. Thankfully….the godrej ka taala finally gave in and my cupboard was free! No regrets….it’s all worth the learning experience as a part of hostel life!


[we …a dear blogger in collaboration with other hostelmates…..will come up with another post about characters in the hostel and the works!]

Until then….BON VOYAGE!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. hmmm
    well nice depiction of ur hostel life and interesting too :-P
    especially i liked dat lock waala part very much keep on posting ur adventures in dis new form of ur life ...

    ReplyDelete